Unemployed? We want to help.Get Started
Work Search Requirements
Alabama Work Registration Program
In Alabama, your application for unemployment compensation automatically registers you with the Alabama Career Center System, also called Alabama Job Link. You must keep your work registration active and current to remain eligible for benefits. If you are an Alabama resident living and searching for work in another state, you must register with the Employment Service or American Job Center in your area. Everyone who receives Alabama unemployment insurance benefits must comply with work search requirements and must continue to prove eligibility as required.
Unemployed? We want to help.
What You Need For Work Search Registration
You are automatically registered with the Alabama Career Center System when you file a claim for unemployment insurance compensation. You are required to post an online resume with Alabama Job Link. When you visit Alabama Job Link for the first time, you will need to enter your personal information to create an account with a username and password.
You are required to actively and reasonably search for work while receiving unemployment benefits, and you must report your work search activities to the Department of Labor weekly using the Weekly Certification System. Alabama guidelines require that you:
- Submit applications with employers who hire people with your skills and experience, including former employers if you think there is a good chance you could be re-hired
- Contact employers during days and times they are usually hiring
- File written applications whenever possible
- Apply for work within normal commuting distance of your home
- Post an online resume with Alabama Job Link at https://joblink.alabama.gov/ada/r/
Be sure to keep a record of all your work search activities so you can prove you are meeting work search requirements and continue receiving benefits. These work search activities can include:
- Dates of contact made with employers
- Company name, address, and telephone number
- Name and title of person contacted about job openings
- Type of work discussed or applied for
- Method of contacts (phone, in person, etc.)
- Results of contacts
- Name, date, and provider of job search workshops attended
- Dates and details of networking activities and results