Unemployed? We want to help.Get Started
Max Weekly Benefit Amt.
Max Weeks of Benefits
Max Benefit Amount
Unemployment compensation is the money you receive during your benefit period. In Vermont, the maximum benefit period is 26 weeks, though this may be decreased if you fail to file your weekly claims properly.
Unemployment benefits are distributed for the previous week and are calculated based on a simple formula. To understand your unemployment benefit amount and how you can figure it out on your own, read below.
Unemployed? We want to help.
Calculating Vermont Unemployment Benefit Amounts
Determine Your Weekly Benefit Amount
To calculate your Weekly Benefit Amount (WBA), divide the total wages paid in the two highest quarters of your base period by 45. Base periods are decided based on a variety of criteria.
There are currently four potential base periods in Vermont. If you do not qualify for the first, your claim will be assessed by the second, the third, and then the fourth, if the latter is applicable. These base periods include:
- Base Period One – The first four of the last five completed calendar quarters
- Base Period Two – The last four completed calendar quarters
- Base Period Three – The last three completed calendar quarter and wages paid in the current quarter, up to and including the date of the claim
- Base Period Four – Only applicable to those receiving Workers' Compensation benefits due to temporary total disability if they:
- Are not eligible under the other base periods
- Filed a claim within six months after the termination period
- Met all other criteria for unemployment insurance
EXAMPLE: You made a total of $9,800 in your two highest paying quarters. Divide that amount by 45 to get $218. The current Maximum Benefit Amount in the state is $458.
Determine Your Maximum Benefit Amount
Multiply your current benefit amount by 26 to calculate the maximum amount of money you can make while on unemployment.
EXAMPLE: Per the example above, you would multiply $218 by 26 to get $5,668. The current maximum amount possible is $11,908.