Unemployed? We want to help.Get Started
Work Search Requirements
Minnesota Work Registration Program
You must actively search for work suitable to your experience and training each week you expect to claim unemployment insurance benefits. You are not required to register with a specific work program, but you must proactively search for and submit applications for work.
Unemployed? We want to help.
The following activities meet Minnesota’s work search requirements:
- Submitting job applications online or in person
- Creating and submitting resumes
- Calling employers to arrange interviews
- Meeting with a career counselor
- Networking in your industry of field of work
- Contacting professional organizations
- Researching companies in your field and exploring current labor market conditions
- Attending a Reemployment Session at a local WorkForce Center
- If you work for a referral union and are not allowed to seek work on your own, you must remain in good standing with the union.
- Register with MinnesotaWorks.net
What You Need for Work Registration
Minnesota doesn’t require that you register with a work search agency, instead relying on job seekers to be accountable for actively conducting their own job search that fits within Minnesota’s acceptable guidelines. You can register with the Minnesota Works program to improve the ease and likelihood of finding suitable work.
When registering online, you must read and agree to the Data Privacy Notice and declare you are legally allowed to work in the U.S. You will then enter your personal information to create an account. Once you have an account, you can create or upload a resume, match your resume to job openings, perform advanced job searches, sign up to receive email notification of new jobs, and have employers contact you directly.