Kmart Retail and Corporate Jobs
General Business Activities
Founded in 1962, Kmart is the world’s third largest discount store chain. Currently owned by the Sears Corporation, Kmart operates over 1,000 stores in the US, Puerto Rico, Guam and the US Virgin Islands. They carry a wide range of merchandise, including groceries, home and garden products, electrical items, apparel and more. Kmart offers over 800 in-store pharmacies, and a handful of Sears Auto Centres operate in partnership with Kmart stores.
Kmart offers a retail site, allowing customers to shop online for products that can be delivered or collected in store. They also offer a layaway purchasing option. Kmart is well known for its Blue Light Specials, in which store workers advertise departmental discounts with a flashing blue police light.
Kmart stores can also be found in Australia and New Zealand, but these share only a name as the US ownership stake in these areas of the world was bought out in the 1970s.
Awards and Recognition
In 2015, Kmart was ranked 19th out of 50 by Careers & the Disabled Magazine. In March of 2015 they were named as the Dimes number one partner for the health of moms and babies, after donating $11 million for their annual March for Babies campaign. Sears Holdings, which owns Kmart, has scored 100 on the HRC’s Corporate Equality Index for the last 9 years.
Vision and Values
Kmart’s mission statement aims to improve the lives of their customers by providing quality products, solutions and services, and in doing so they aim to build life-long, trust-based relationships. Their core strategies are to attain the best standards of productivity and efficiency, constantly update the company with innovation and technology, and build their brands.
With a wide range of careers available within both Kmart itself and within the wider Sears Corporation, employees have plenty of opportunities for career advancement, job training and personal development.
Full time employees receive a range of discounts, including paid time off, flexible working, employee discounts, medical and dental coverage and more.
- Cashiers - assist customers and ring up their purchases, making sure that each customer has a great experience. They earn between $7-$10 per hour.
- Front End Managers - train and manage Front End associates, assess store service levels and conditions and ensure all customer issues are resolved. Hourly rates range from $8-$16 per hour.
- Customer Services Associates - deal with customer requests and queries, offering excellent customer support. They earn between $6-$13 per hour.
- Loss Prevention Agents - protect Kmart assets and reduce loss of inventory, preventing loss and theft from stores. Salaries range from $7-$14 per hour.
- Pharmacists - man Kmart’s in-store dispensaries, filling prescriptions and advising customers on medicinal products. They make between $47 and $64 per hour.
- Pharmacy District Managers - oversee different district’s store based pharmacies, supervising individual pharmacy managers, visiting stores to check for quality and compliance and overseeing the execution of company initiatives. They earn around $160K annually.
- Store Managers - oversee individual locations, managing staff, inventory and store initiatives and overseeing hiring, training and audits, among other duties. They earn around $75k annually.
- Inventory Analysts - manage inventory process control interface with auditors, develop and manage metrics and liaise with suppliers. Salaries average around $60K annually.
A majority of Kmart’s corporate roles are managed by the parent company, Sears Holdings.
By Staff Writer, SimplyJobs