Kohl’s Jobs and Careers
General Business Activities
Kohl’s Corporation first started as a supermarket. Founder Max Kohl decided to expand the Kohl's brand into retail and created Kohl’s Department Stores with the first department store opening in 1962 in Brookfield Wisconsin. Kohl’s was eventually acquired in 1978 and the Kohl family withdrew from the operations of the company. The food stores were sold off and were officially closed in 2003. Kohl’s expanded in the late seventies, and has since grown to become one of the best department stores in the country. They sell clothing, shoes, home furnishings and appliances, jewelry, sports equipment, and toys.
Today, Kohl’s has over 1,100 stores in 49 states, and employs around 140,000 people in corporate and in-store roles.
Awards and Recognition
Kohl’s has won a variety of awards for their commitment to the environment. These include the US Environmental Agency’s Green Power Partner of the Year Award in 2013, the Sustained Excellence in Green Power Award in 2014, and the Energy Star Partner of the Year Sustained Excellence Award in 2015.
Vision and Values
Kohl’s purpose is “to inspire and empower families to lead fulfilled lives.” This message is reflected in their company values, which are:
- Put customers first
- Act with integrity
- Build great teams
- Drive results
Kohl’s is also an active community partner, giving back to the areas they operate in with their many Kohl’s Cares programs. They are committed to:
- Kid’s health and education
- Advancing Environmental Solutions
- Associates in action
Kohl’s also gives out a number of their own awards and scholarships.
Kohl’s offers challenging internships and training programs. They have a Store Management in Training (MIT) Program designed to fast track trainees into management. They also offer a Merchandise Analyst Trainee program for training their future buyers.
Kohl’s offers a range of employee benefits. These include merchandise discounts, medical plans for part time associates, comprehensive dental and medical insurance for full time staff, paid sick leave, 401K plans, and paid vacation.
- Sales Associates work in one of Kohl’s many departments, where they assist customers with their purchases and ensure that they have a great shopping experience. They earn an average of $8 - $9 per hour.
- Unloaders are responsible for unloading merchandise from Kohl’s many delivery trucks. They also remove packaging and sort items for stocking. They earn around $8.50 per hour.
- Cashiers ring up customer purchases and offer excellent customer service. They earn an average of $8.50 per hour.
- Seasonal Sales Associates join the Kohl’s team during their busiest times and help the permanent team on the shop floor. They earn an average of $8.70 per hour.
- District Managers oversee entire regions containing multiple stores. They are in charge of all operations as well as managing their team of store managers. They earn an average of $155,000 per year.
- Senior Systems Analysts design IT solutions for the Kohl’s Corporation. They analyze existing systems and business models, design and develop products, and manage other Systems Analysts. They earn around $103,000 per year.
- Marketing Managers run marketing campaigns, brief departments on marketing related projects, and prepare presentations and promotional briefs. Salaries average at around $90,000.
By Staff Writer, SimplyJobs